As a discipline, Chemistry forms a big part of science. Chemistry is sometimes called the ‘central science’ because it interacts with the other sciences Biology and Physics. Chemistry can be broken down into distinct disciplines such as Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Physical Chemistry among others.
Three different practicals (first year and second year Advanced and SEC level) are held every week in two fully-equipped laboratories. Most practicals simulate examination conditions, thus giving students the opportunity to familiarise themselves with exam questions.
You can study Chemistry at:
|Advanced Level||A minimum of grade 5 at SEC level or equivalent is required||2 years||5 lessons per week||1 tutorial per week 1 practical (2 lessons) per week|
|Refresher||Students must have previously completed the two year course in any institution||1 year||5 lessons per week||1 tutorial per week and 1 practical (2 lessons) per week|
|Intermediate Level||No previous knowledge is needed||2 years||3 lessons per week||1 practical (2 lessons) per week|
|SEC level||Preferably subject must have been studied at SEC level||1 year||4/5 lessons per week||1 practical (1 lesson) per week if required|
- Advanced/Intermediate Chemistry cannot be taken with Intermediate Environmental Science.
The teaching programme is supplemented by:
- Guest speakers from Science and Chemistry related faculties at the University of Malta and from other institutions
- Visits to different relevant entities
Further Studies/Career opportunities
- University of Malta
- Institute of Tourism Studies
- Careers as pharmacy/analytical technicians, science technicians in the education sector and support staff in veterinary services