With 274 million speakers, French is the 5th most spoken language in the world. French is an official language in 29 countries besides being a working language and an official language of many international organisations including the United Nations, the European Union, N.A.T.O. and the W.T.O. French is the international language of cooking, fashion, theatre, visual arts, dance and architecture. A knowledge of French also offers access to great works of literature as well as films and songs.
The ability to speak French is an asset on the local and international job market. Students of French have the opportunity to apply for French government scholarships. Students may take up postgraduate courses in France for any discipline and can qualify for internationally recognised French degrees.
You can study French at:
|Advanced Level||A minimum of grade 5 at SEC Level or equivalent is required||2 years||5 lessons per week||1 tutorial per week|
|Intermediate Level||A minimum of grade 5 at SEC Level or equivalent is required||2 years||3 lessons per week||1 conversation class every fortnight|
|SEC level||Preferably subject must have been studied at SEC Level||1 year||4/5 lessons per week||N/A|
- Students following the one-year SEC Revision course reinforce their knowledge of French acquired at secondary school.
- At Intermediate level, students cover language (written and oral), literature (‘Oscar et la dame rose’ by Éric-Emmanuel Schmitt) and culture.
- The literature books studied at Advanced level are ‘Le Malade imaginaire’ by Molière; ‘Concerto à la mémoire d’un ange’ by Éric- Emmanuel Schmitt and ‘La jeune fille au pair’ by Joseph Joffo.
Further Studies/Career opportunities
- University of Malta
- ITS – Institute of Tourism Studies
- Careers in tourism, translation & interpreting, diplomacy or international relations and with French (or French-related) companies or organisations