In line with Malta’s National Education for Sustainable Development Strategy, GCHSS offers students the possibility to practise active citizenship through extracurricular activities organised by the Green Committee. The committee organises various educational activities to create environmental awareness such as:
- Organising Educational Talks
- Working together with the Naxxar Local council to collect recyclable material on campus
- Organising Clean-up Activities
- Instilling environmental awareness
- Planning educational site visits
- Organising pro-environmental competitions
The students also plan fund-raising activities at the beginning of the year which allow them to sharpen their team building and management skills. Profits made from these activities are then used towards events that reach out to other members of the Maltese society – such as providing support to Retirement Homes, or involving parents and students from other schools to join in tree-planting activities.
Participants are credited with a certificate at the end of their experience. This holistic approach to education enables these young people to understand that, as citizens, they are important stakeholders and have an impact on various aspects involved in preparing Malta for the challenges of the 21st century.