Advanced Level: A two-year course comprising language, linguistics, literature studies and critical skills. The literature component consists of a Shakespearean play, two novels and selected poems. An oral component is also included.
Intermediate Level: The students consolidate the knowledge gained at SEC level and extend it to include more advanced concepts. However, these concepts will not be treated with the same rigour and at the same depth as in the English Advanced level course. The Intermediate course enables students to develop their reading, communication and analytical skills.
You can study English at:
A minimum of grade 5 at SEC Level
1st Year –
|1 tutorial per week|
Preferably a minimum of grade 5 at SEC Level (MQF Level 3) or equivalent in English language.
|2 years||3 lessons per week||N/A|
Subject must have been studied at SEC Level
4 lessons per week
including the ability to understand the interplay between characters, plot and ideas in the literary texts being studied. An oral and a linguistic component are also included.
SEC level: Revision courses leading to a SEC level certificate.
The literary texts studied at GCHSS are the following:
- Atonement – Ian McEwan; ISBN 9780099507383
- The Handmaid’s Tale- Margaret Atwood; ISBN 9781784871444 Othello – William Shakespeare; ISBN 9780435193058
- English AS & A2 – Alan Gardiner; (Pearson, 2008); ISBN 9781408206539
- Upstream Proficiency C2 Student’s Book – Virginia Evans & Lynda Edwards; 9781471506062
- 20th century stories
- Crime stories
- World stories
Further Studies/Career Opportunities
- A qualification in English is an essential tool for practically all career or academic paths