Health and Safety Policy
PROCEDURE TO BE FOLLOWED BY STUDENTS IN THE EVENT OF FIRE
Procedure to be followed when you are in class and hear the fire alarm:
- Close all windows. Switch off electricity and all electrical appliances. Turn off gas.
- LEAVE the room in a single line. Adopt the ‘buddy’ system, that is, form pairs and be accountable for your friend’s presence till the end of the evacuation exercise. DO NOT STOP to collect personal belongings. Follow the teacher. The last person who leaves the room is to close the door.
- Walk towards the exit by following the escape route indicated by EXIT signs.
- If your route is blocked, try to find an alternative route. Stay with your group.
- Once out of the building, walk towards the assembly point indicated.
- STAY WITH YOUR CLASS in the assembly area. Report immediately to your teacher if your ‘buddy’ or any one of your friends is missing.
- DO NOT get back inside the building until told to do so by your teacher.
Some important points:
If while evacuating a building there is a lot of smoke, stay as low as possible or crawl towards the exit.
If while getting out of a room your route is blocked by fire, go back into the room and close the door. Use pieces of cloth available to block any gaps in the door. Open a window and call for help.
If you hear the fire alarm bell when you are not in class:
- LEAVE the building at once, quickly and calmly. Follow escape routes indicated by EXIT signs. If you are not inside the school building, proceed quickly to the assembly area.
- DO NOT STOP to collect personal belongings.
- DO NOT use lifts.
- When clear of the building, PROCEED TO THE ASSEMBLY AREA. Report to school administrators if persons who were with you are missing.
- DO NOT get back inside the building until told to do so by the school administrators.
PROCEDURE TO BE FOLLOWED IF YOU DISCOVER A FIRE:
If you are NOT in class:
- Raise the alarm by informing one of the school administrators, a member of staff or one of the health and safety teachers. If you are in class:
- Inform your teacher IMMEDIATELY.