in Malta, it is important to be proactive to prevent the spread of such virus, or any other virus for that matter.
With that aim in mind, the Ministry for Education and Employment (MEDE) have instructed that any student or teacher who has visited these countries during the past days:
- Hong Kong
- South Korea
- Italy (Emilia-Romagna, Lombardy, Piedmont, Veneto, ie. all the north of Italy above Tuscany),
must stay at home for 14 days and if they develop symptoms of fever, cough or shortness of breath, they need to phone the Disease Prevention and Control Unit (IDCU) on Tel. no 21324086 who will guide them accordingly.
How to prevent the spread of germs?
- Students who are sick with the flu or flu-like symptoms are to stay at home and not to return to school before they have fully recovered.
- Frequent hand washing hand is one of the best ways to prevent the spread of the virus. Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, and if not available, use alcohol-based hand disinfectant.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or inner side of flexed elbow when coughing or sneezing. DO NOT sneeze or cough into your hands as you may contaminate objects or people that you touch.
- Dispose of used tissues immediately in bins. Do NOT leave tissues running around.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth before washing your hands.