Choosing Systems of Knowledge
Systems of Knowledge is intended to serve as a stimulus for a critical appreciation of values within an interdisciplinary programme based on four interrelated modules. During the first year DemocraticValues & Responsible & Active Citizenship, Culture, Art & Aesthetic Values in Western Civilization, and The Environment & Sustainable Development are covered. During the second year the model scientific Values & Technology is tackled together with a general revision of the three modules covered during the first year.
Concurrently, students have three project meetings related to the presentation of a Matsec project which carries 40% of the global mark (60% exam). The Project involves a task which spans over a time period of 20 hours and, in order for the project to be accomplished satisfactorily, a meeting is held during the first year and another two during the second year.
Since class groups are small, discussion about the various themes covered is actively promoted through the participation of all students.
You can study SOK at:
|Intermediate Level||No previous knowledge is required||2 years||3 lessons per week||N/A|
The teaching programme is supplemented by:
- A Parliamentary debating session is held in May focusing on six themes related to the modules of SOK. Students act as members of Parliament and present proposals addressing current issues.
- Other non-formal activities are also held in line with promoting direct involvement of students.
- Talks by external speakers
- An NGO fair is also held on the school premises to help students choose an organisation for the activity part of their project
Further Studies/Career opportunities
- Compulsory Requirement for entry University of Malta